Recommendations for Rock Crawler for 6 year old

Anything to do with Radio Controlled Rock Crawling.
BaronGrivet

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:08 am

I've restored an old (1/10 electric Team Associated) 2WD racing truck for my 5½ year old son and while he has great fun doing doughnuts it's just too fast and uncontrollable for him.

The truck spends a lot of time smashing into things and is hard to control on dirt, even adjusting the throttle back to a quarter/half. We took it out to a track and I had forgotten how much skill and feathering you need with 2WD. Realistically I can't see him or me getting enough control over the truck before it's wrecked for good.

Rock crawlers seem like a good option for schoolkids because they're slower and (I'm guessing) easier to control with 4WD.

There's loads of cheap rock crawlers out there from the likes of The Warehouse/ Kmart/ Jaycar but I don't want to get something that'll break and be impossible to repair.

I had a look online at the RedCat Everest rock crawler as it didn't seem crazy expensive: http://www.redcatracing.com/EVEREST-10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - but I don't know anything about RedCat.

Are there any parents out there that can give me recommendations for a good (but not expensive) rock crawler for a 6 year old? Preferably 4WD 1/10 electric.

mojo2

Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:47 am

Hey, i have loads of them and if you dont have a budget get him a scx10, if you have a budget i would say get a Tamiya CC01 they are great fun, you can run them fast and slow. They are strong only down side is you can have a wait for parts at times. My 5 year old loves the CC01 but will much rather run the scx10. My experiance with the slow crawlers they get bored of it very fast

I put a tow strap on the cc01 and he will happily play towing hit toys around

Btw there is a cc01 on facebook for $200

BaronGrivet

Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:56 pm

mojo2 wrote:Hey, i have loads of them and if you dont have a budget get him a scx10, if you have a budget i would say get a Tamiya CC01 they are great fun, you can run them fast and slow. They are strong only down side is you can have a wait for parts at times. My 5 year old loves the CC01 but will much rather run the scx10. My experiance with the slow crawlers they get bored of it very fast

I put a tow strap on the cc01 and he will happily play towing hit toys around

Btw there is a cc01 on facebook for $200
Ta, we had looked at the Axial SCX10, good to know.

• Information