2018 NZRCA 1/10th EP Off-Road Nationals

Discussion of major RC events here
i.e. Nationals, North Islands, Drivers Series etc
my4ari

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:28 am

This is just a quick post so people know the dates so you can book accomodation etc.

Dates are 24th - 27th May in Hawera (south taranaki). Indoor dirt off-road at the same location as last year. Open practice will be Thursday afternoon/evening.

More details to follow in January 2018

my4ari

Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:17 pm

More details to come...
Attachments
pOSTER 1.jpg
pOSTER 1.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 1442 times

viper1

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:25 pm

Hi all racers that haven't booked accommodation yet. I have pre booked a two room motel as my family was intending to make a weekend of it. Unfortunately they can not make it now. So If anyone would like to bunk down I have 3 beds available from the Wednesday through to the Sunday.

$60 per night.

If you are interested text me on 0278242241

Mike
Mike Peck
TLR 22Sct 3.0 : 22T 2.0L - LC Truggy - Chroma ST10+
Bluerock Racing

Matt Whitmarsh

Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:41 pm

I see Chris Sturdy has entered. Be good to see him on dirt over here.

Why are we spelling tyres with an 'i' now?
Intech ER-12
Intech ER-14
Losi 8ight 3.0 Tekno V4
Ofna TS4 Pro

viper1

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:08 pm

Could be because there is no I in team. So why not put it in tires instead.

However I did find the I in team.

So maybe it's something else.

:lol:
Mike Peck
Bluerock Racing

Shoku

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:33 am

Not to sure about entering this year as the time table is very difficult to work with when bringing kids down to race , now you cant run stock and mod surely the race schedual could be finished by 5 , last year was very hard , kids cant be getting back to accomadition fed and in bed at 11pm then be able to race the next day , why is it nessary to run past 5 , surly the racers would like to catch up for a meal and a few beers while down there . Been an indoor event unaffected by weather it should be pretty straight forward. Counties managed to run a very big north island 8th meeting outdoors with the days finshed by 5 it must be possible...
Food for thought ......
TLR 22 2.0
TLR 22 4
TLR SC 2.0
TLR 22T 2.0

type49rs

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:12 pm

Also being a parent at the event I agree with you......there were some very long days for the kids (and us oldies too). However just because finishing at 5pm works at one event, doesn't mean it 'should' be do-able at another......logistically 200 cars is a lot to push through. I don't think the new stock/mod rule will have too much effect on numbers. From memory last year the longest day was qualifying on the Saturday however this year the first qual round is being held on the Friday so that should help a lot. In addition the races will now be 5 minutes as opposed to 6 so there's another time saving.
Last edited by type49rs on Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

my4ari

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:33 pm

Shoku wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:33 am
Not to sure about entering this year as the time table is very difficult to work with when bringing kids down to race , now you cant run stock and mod surely the race schedual could be finished by 5 , last year was very hard , kids cant be getting back to accomadition fed and in bed at 11pm then be able to race the next day , why is it nessary to run past 5 , surly the racers would like to catch up for a meal and a few beers while down there . Been an indoor event unaffected by weather it should be pretty straight forward. Counties managed to run a very big north island 8th meeting outdoors with the days finshed by 5 it must be possible...
Food for thought ......
In addition to Johns comments above, last year the Saturday was a complete dissaster in regards to getting through the programme. I ran the entire meeting the weekend before running 2mins between races and running 5 rounds qualifying on the saturday and I had the entire progamme done by 7:17pm theoretically. Constant stoppages with the computer, competitors not lined up on time etc held us up and there was no way to speed things up once we got off the rails.

This year will run a lot smoother and we will be running a tight ship - things such as when you come off the stand you will go through the post race scrutineering before staying in the waiting area and marshalling the race after the one immediately following your race. This means marshalls for the one immediately after your race will be out straight away after your race allowing the next race to start immediately (1 lap warmup). And 5 minute races (instead of 6mins last year) all add up to some great time savings. The estimated 7pm finish is based on 220 cars (because im always hopeful we will have more than last year), however we will make an early decision if time is running late to drop the 4th round of qualifying on the saturday if needed.

But I will finish the post by saying, I have raced for nearly 30 years and it blows my mind completely at the number of events I have been to in my time that have finished at 3, 4 or even 5pm and the racers talking about how come we dont race longer as its still daylight or how if we had an indoor venue it would be great because we could race into the evening / night, yet now we have the perfect venue and track yet people want us to finish by 5pm at the latest???? We pay a lot of money for this venue and put in a lot of work in the short space of 1 week (yes we take a week off work to make this happen) so we figure people will want as much time on the track as possible while still respecting that people dont want to be there all night. Trust us, we ran the meeting with our 4 month old baby with us last year so we know the saturday was far too long, and will be making sure that does not happen again.

I hope you and your children can make it as its going to be a great event.

viper1

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:16 am

Damned if you do damned if you don't.

Well done guys bring on May, and November.
Mike Peck
Bluerock Racing

Bishy

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:41 pm

my4ari wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:33 pm
when you come off the stand you will go through the post race scrutineering before staying in the waiting area and marshalling the race after the one immediately following your race. This means marshalls for the one immediately after your race will be out straight away after your race allowing the next race to start immediately (1 lap warmup).
This is absolutely key to running a packed meeting to schedule. Probably one of the most important aspects of the NZIOC was minimal delay between races to keep all the spectators interested, and the need to start and finish at precise times whilst fitting guest appearances in to coincide with predetermined press/tv schedules.

Without the staggered marshaling system and an actual timetable (down to the minute) it would have been impossible to pull such a feat off!

The I.C Nats held last weekend was run to a precise schedule and despite a half day delay at the beginning due to 70mm of rain and Hurricane strength winds they managed to fit the 4 days into 3.5 running over by 30 minutes at the end of the event. It can definitely be done but it takes an iron will and transparency from the get go.

Looks like it would be a fun event, a 6+ hour drive at each end would be a bit hard for the kids though :shock:
ORCA, Savox, Bullitt, TLR, AKA

Shoku

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Your correct they did a great job of the time table at IC nats ,kids had a ball ,time table was awsum with the latest time leaving the track been 5.45 pm and back to hamilton on sunday not to late.We got to go out for dinner and a beer or 6 ..Wind was a bit tough on friday but it sure helped the regions goggle sales !!!
TLR 22 2.0
TLR 22 4
TLR SC 2.0
TLR 22T 2.0

my4ari

Mon May 14, 2018 10:59 am

A reminder to all that entries close this Friday 18th May. We currently have 78 drivers (6 more than the final count from 2017) and 185 cars (11 less than last year) entered so it’s going to be a huge event once again.

Late entries will NOT be accepted so please make sure you get in on time and please also make sure entry fees are paid.

Safe travels to all next week, and my apologies in advance if you ask me questions next week and I take a while to respond. Will be busy busy with setup.

• Information