Website current state update

Discuss matters of a general nature
Matt van der Haas
RCRACER

Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:00 pm

Hi everyone,

A bit of a message from myself (Matt) from RCRacer ... it's been a while :)

== The front page website ==

It has been a long time since some TLC was put into the rcracer website, it was mainly because I had been out of the RC scene for a while, and now work and family has taken up my time.

The Main website is very out of date from a content, technical and design point of view. It really does need some attention. I think the current main website was quickly done on my one week holiday break from uni in 2011, and just little bits added to it over time. So it really is pretty ancient.

== The Forum ==

Over the last half of the year we have been targeted heavily with spam bots, and spam accounts, as well as spammers emailing through the 'email' links on the website contact form. You may remember when we had registration open, spammers would create an account and post NOT SO NICE imagery on the forum. You may have also noticed we have had to disable registration on the forum until we find a suitable fix (not ideal).

As hosting the website costs money, I've recently shifted the website to a much cheaper solution, and in doing so we've noticed there's a whole bunch of images not showing up on the forum, and we're in the middle of retrieving these now (this is due to a bad backup from the previous provider ... out of my control).

Over the last few years Facebook has appeared and grown as a home to RC clubs, it is great to see a club create a page and have sharing of photos / videos / info so easy.

As Facebook is taking away from the usefulness of our Forum, we will be contemplating what direction we take with it going forward. It might just be trimming down a lot of the unused sections ... but unsure, feedback would be nice.

== Going Forward ==

I personally still see value in the rcracer website, but not in its current state. I will be rethinking its direction as we go through a complete overhaul of the website.

This may take time, but you will be seeing some big changes happen.

Let me know your thoughts, and any ideas you may have.

Cheers,
Matt :)

I have posted the same on our facebook page incase you want to comment on there https://www.facebook.com/rcracer.co.nz/

Matt van der Haas
RCRACER

Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:19 pm

Images should be fully restored now (y)

Matt Whitmarsh

Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:23 am

Matt, the only section of the forum that seems to be used nowadays to any real extent is the for sale/wanted section - I don't think you want it to become a buy/sell forum, do you?

I like the idea of the web page showing results and pics from events, but you could just as easily do that from a Facebook page I guess.
Intech ER-12
Intech ER-14
Losi 8ight 3.0 Tekno V4
Ofna TS4 Pro

Matt van der Haas
RCRACER

Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:57 pm

Yeah absolutely, so I think a different direction for the website in general is needed :)

I think the number 1 priority should be to attract new people to the sport, and make sure they have all the information they need (and directing them to their local club etc)

• Information