Team Orion Batteries

Anything with an Electric Motor can be discussed in here.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:24 pm

Hey Guys,
Looking to get into 1/8 e-buggy racing and am looking for batteries. What's the deal with the Orion stuff? I see that a fair few pro's use them (with great success) but i've also seen a lot of reviews online saying how terrible they are. Puffing, loss of power after only a few cycles etc.
I'm quickly finding our options in NZ are pretty limited. What do most guys run that are readily available here?

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:44 pm

I use Orion and been real happy with power output. Don’t use anything else right now

One puffed on me but that was my fault for leaving it charged

I had cheaper batts and one of those puffed through normal racing

My main rule is this

Chassis esc motor servo body batt if ya like the look of it roll with it. Too many people have their own opinion and good luck to em. I make my own decision

Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:04 am

Been using Orion batteries for about 3 1/2 years stull use them for practice when i can, Most of the ones i've seen puff up of fail are due to either abuse charging at very high rates (which in my opinion isn,t nessicary unless your top 3-5 driver at nationals with everything else already wound up) or leaving overly dischaged, had some cheaper ones before that and was loosing punch for the jumps at the end of a run after 6 months and i was only running low punch
The other more recent issue i have seen in 1/8th batteries is poeple pulling on the ballance wiring to hard or by the wiring and not plug and breaking it out of plug or battery, Seams to be just several people thankfully and i have been able to repair for them
Shane at Outlaw RC (skippy_77) is good to deal with for them, they not that easy to get into the country at the moment i believe
Good luck hope this helps
Just doin it cause it's fun

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:25 pm

Orion batteries are more than fine IMO. There's no point in using cheaper batts in the long run. Not a single one puffed on me (yet!)

Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:35 pm

Can sort you out with any Orion needs just get in contact :)

Shane O'Connor
Outlaw RC -

HB Racing, Kyosho, Associated, J-Concepts, Team Orion, OS Speed

• Information