Charging past mah limits

Anything with an Electric Motor can be discussed in here.
DivenParker

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:09 pm

I have a Hitec X2 AC Plus charger and it charges all my batteries past the mah rating on the battery.
Example: 1300mah 2s lipo battery. I would expect to charge this less than 1300mah if the lvc on the esc kicked on correctly but I just charged two of them and they both topped off at 1460mah and 1461mah.
It does that to all my batteries. I have Gens Ace, SMC and Turnigy lipos.

My only explanation is the charger's mah counter is off.

Any other thoughts?

B.C.Ninja

Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:56 pm

mAH ratings on batteries are pretty much just dribble, there is no international standard on testing and therefore labelling of capacity ratings for batteries, also the circuit within your charger pretty much just makes an assumption of current over time to conclude the mAH it has put back into the cells, its all made up dribble. mAH is milliamps per hour, now this will change depending on the cutoff voltage for testing (not your esc) as well as the current used for testing, the value on your charger is just the amount of current/time the charger charged, you will usually find that calculated mAH values will decrease when discharge current increases.

Scott 119

Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:28 am

As said below there is no standard for battery ratings, we have found that you will get more then the battery spec from the Gens Ace packs. I have seen some big brand packs fall short by up to 20%. As long as you don;t exceed 4.2v per cell the packs will be fine.

In regards to getting more mAh out during a high current discharge this is because the cells warm up and become more efficient which produces better performance.

We have found that the weight of a pack directly relates to performance. Take 2 identically speced packs from different brands and the heavier one will come out on top every time. (At least in the testing we have done.) We carried out this testing because we deal directly with the Gens Ace factory and we were getting beaten on spec and we asked if we could have a pack built to brand XXXX spec and they said sorry that C rating and capacity is not possible in that size pack. So we took brand XXXX pack and tested it against our closest Gens Ace pack. The Gens Ace pack was heavier but not by much Brand XXXX was rated 1000mAh above and was claiming 100C compared to our 50C. The Gens Ace pack won out on mAh and average voltage.The Gens Ace pack did not get as hot in fact the brand new XXXX pack puffed slightly on discharge.

So if your seeing figures that sound to good to be true they probably are and your just paying for branding.
Scott Brownhill - HOT Ltd

TLR Racing
Morgan Fuel
Savox
ORCA RC
Spektrum
VS Engines By Rody

Matt Whitmarsh

Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:43 am

Probably also depends what voltage the LiPO cut-off is set at - ESCs differ and some you can set to whatever you want or turn them off.
Intech ER-12
Intech ER-14
Losi 8ight 3.0 Tekno V4
Ofna TS4 Pro

lunchie

Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:44 am

ive got a skyRc D100 which has the same electronics as the hitec...i found too that it seems to report higher mah values than my old Imax b6 did for the same batteries...no idea why. must be in the software
RC10B6
LCracing truggy, LCracing SCT, Tamiya M05 MX5, Blackfoot3 and Lunchbox
TIRCCC

• Information